Archive for the ‘San Antonio Spurs’ Category
Last night I was watching my favorite NBA team, the San Antonio Spurs, win their third straight game in the first round of the playoffs against a team with two of the biggest superstars in the league. The interesting about the Spurs is that they are one of the winningest sports franchise, but one of the least talked about. During last night’s game I wrote down a couple of observations that I thought made the Spurs a great model for leadership and team building.
– Its about the team
– “I don’t worry about being the man” Robert Horry
– The team is there to win as a team because they understand that winning as a team leads
to winning as an individual
– No ego, even Tim Duncan listens to the coach. A lot of times the Coach Pop is harder on
him than the others
– Players hold each other acountable and cheer each other on
-They come to take care of business
– Close out what they finish
– Seek character players, I do not remember in recent history of a Spurs player in the news
for getting in trouble with the law
– They see the big picture
-Do not get worried to early when behind and do not get excited to early when ahead
-Every valley has a mountain top and ever mountain top has a valley
– It showed last during the game because they were behind most of the game but stayed
composed the whole game and took the lead and the game in the last minutes
– Tend to start off the season slowly, but do not panic and ussually finish the season as
one of the hottest teams in the league
– Do not bring the best players in, but the right players for the team
– The right players make the best team, the best players do not always make the best team
– Besides the top three players on the team the rest are all role players that fit into the
large scheme the coach has.
All this = A Boring Team because they do the right things right and do not cause a stir.
All this also = Championship Team – 3 Championships since 1999 and won over 64% of their games during that time period. I would say they have a good formula for team success.